Born, raised, and represents Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Tamir D. Harper works to reconstruct the field of education and empower every youth to reach their highest potential.
Tamir Harper is a Senior at Science Leadership Academy in Philadelphia where he is a member of the Community Involvement Club and the Black Student Union.
When Tamir was 17 years old he Co-Founded UrbEd Inc., a nonprofit that advocates for a quality and efficient urban education, by working to disband the school-to-prison pipeline, increase teacher diversity, improve building conditions, and advocate for local control of schools. Tamir currently serves as the Executive Director of UrbEd.
Tamir has a mission to create sustainable change for generations. With that mission, Tamir has had the honor of serving in many capacities. Tamir currently serves as the National Student Officer for Educators Rising, and is a three-year member of the School District of Philadelphia Superintendent's Student Advisory Council. He formerly served as the National Policy Director for Student Voice and as the longest serving Commissioner on the City of Philadelphia Youth Commission. He has had the opportunity to serve as a member of the School District of Philadelphia k-12 Counseling Advisory Plan and as the Chairman & Commissioner of the Philadelphia Youth Commission. Serving in those capacities has educated, empowered and inspired him about youth and advocacy work. In 2016, Tamir traveled to Washington, D.C. to serve on a panel for the United States Office of Education concerning teacher diversity moderated by Secretary King and started working with Black Male Educators for Social Justice to improve teacher diversity.
Holding true to his passion, Tamir believes that students should receive diversity in their schools, funding in their schools and a quality education that allows every student to succeed. Tamir will continue advocating for all youth in similar situations and strives to play a role in creating sustainable change for generations.
Tamir hopes to continue his passion for education and advocacy throughout his life and after he graduates high school, class of 2018, he will be attending American University. Mr. Harper plans to major in Secondary Education and Public Policy with hopes of getting a Phd in Urban Education.
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS
- UrbEd Inc. - Executive Director
- Educators Rising - National Student Vice President
- School District of Philadelphia - Student Adviser
- Black Male Educators for Social Justice - Ambassador
- Joanna McClinton for State Rep - Campaign Aide
- Student Voice Inc. - Former Policy Director
- City of Philadelphia Youth Commission - Former Commissioner
- High School Dems of Pa - Former Relaunch Chair
- Ben Waxman for State Rep - Former Deputy Field Director
- National Association of Youth Leaders - Former VP for Recruitment & Management
- Speaker: Teacher Diversity at WHYY & WURD Town Hall
- Speaker: Finding your Passion at TeenSHARP
- Speaker: Equity at School District of Philadelphia Meeting
- Speaker: Keynote Speaker at The Future Project Graduation
- Moderator: My Brother's Keeper Philadelphia First Convening
- Moderator: School District of Philadelphia Lindback Principal's Award
- Moderator: School District of Philadelphia Lindback Teachers Award
- Panelist: Black Male Educators for Social Justice Convening
- Panelist: National Summit on Teacher Diversity
- Panelist: Philadelphia Forum on Advancing Black Male Educational Success
- Panelist: Can't Blame the Youth Summit
- Panelist: Teach For America Teachers Graduation Ceremony
- Panelist: 50CAN Staff Orientation Training
- Panelist: Drexel University Moonshots in Education with Esther Wojcicki
- Presenter: Technology in Education at ISTE
- Presenter: Technology in Education at EduCon
- Presenter: Reforming Education through Policy at EducatorsRising National Conference
- Co-Presenter: A Conversation about Social Justice for All, in Schools and Beyond at EduCon