Born, raised, and represents Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Tamir D. Harper works to reconstruct the field of education and empower every youth to reach their highest potential.
Tamir Harper is a Senior at Science Leadership Academy in Philadelphia where he is a member of the Community Involvement Club and the Black Student Union.
At 17 years old, Tamir serves as the Policy Director for Student Voice, which gives him the opportunity to strengthen the movement of equitable school and is a National Student Officer for Educators Rising. Currently, he is a three-year member of the School District of Philadelphia Superintendent's Student Advisory Council and is the longest serving Commissioner on the City of Philadelphia Youth Commission. He has had the opportunity to serve as a member of the School District of Philadelphia k-12 Counseling Advisory Plan and as the National Education Policy Chair for Youth For National Change. Serving with those organizations has educated, empowered and inspired him about youth and advocacy work. In 2016, Tamir traveled to Washington DC to serve on a panel for the United States office of Education concerning teacher diversity moderated by Secretary King and has launched his own initiative with a group of students called UrbEd, a platform that advocates for a quality and efficient urban education system.
Holding true to his passion, Tamir believes that students should receive diversity in their schools, funding in their schools and a quality education that allows every student to succeed. Tamir will continue advocating for all youth in similar situations and strives to play a role in creating sustainable change for generations.
Tamir hopes to continue his passion for education and advocacy throughout his life and after he graduates high school, class of 2018, he will be attending college. Mr. Harper plans to major in Education and Communications with hopes of getting a Ph.D. in Urban Education.
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS
- UrbEd Inc. - Executive Director
- City of Philadelphia Youth Commission - Commissioner
- Student Voice Inc. - Policy Director
- Educators Rising - National Student Vice President
- School District of Philadelphia - Student Adviser
- Black Male Educators for Social Justice - Ambassador
- National Association of Youth Leaders - Board Member & VP for Recruitment & Mangement
- High School Dems of Pa - Former Relaunch Chair
- Ben Waxman for State Rep - Former Deputy Field Director
- Joanna McClinton for State Rep - Former Assistant
- Speaker: Teacher Diversity at WHYY & WURD Town Hall
- Speaker: Finding your Passion at TeenSHARP Speaker
- Speaker: Equity at School District of Philadelphia Meeting
- Speaker: Motivational Speech at The Future Project Graduation
- Moderator: My Brother's Keeper Philadelphia First Convening
- Moderator: School District of Philadelphia Lindback Principal's Award
- Moderator: School District of Philadelphia Lindback Teachers Award
- Panelist: Black Male Educators for Social Justice Convening
- Panelist: National Summit on Teacher Diversity
- Panelist: Philadelphia Forum on Advancing Black Male Educational Success
- Panelist: Can't Blame the Youth Summit
- Panelist: Teach For America Teachers Graduation Ceremony
- Panelist: 50CAN Staff Orientation Training
- Presenter: Technology in Education at ISTE
- Presenter: Technology in Education at EduCon
- Presenter: Reforming Education through Policy at EducatorsRising National Conference